In Australia, over 4.9 million people are estimated to experience migraine, with the debilitating condition significantly affecting their daily lives. Despite the high prevalence of migraine, treatment options have often been limited and sometimes unsuccessful in providing adequate relief. However, recent advancements in migraine research have led to the development of a promising new class of treatments known as gepants.
Click the headings below to jump to a specific section.
- What is a gepant?
- How do gepants work?
- How effective are gepants?
- Side effects
- Comparison with triptans
- Comparison to anti-CGRP monoclonal antibodies
- Acute vs. preventive treatment
- Can gepants cause medication overuse headache?
- Variants of gepants
- Gepant availability in Australia
- Further information & resources
Medically reviewed by Dr Emma Foster. Last updated May 2, 2023.