Sumatriptan is an acute treatment taken to help reduce symptoms when you start to experience a migraine attack. It is part of a class of medications called triptans.
There are many different acute treatments available, so it can be helpful to know what they are before speaking to your doctor. This article will help you better understand sumatriptan as one of your acute treatment options.
Click the headings below to jump to a specific section.
- What is sumatriptan?
- Sumatriptan at a glance
- Cost and access in Australia
- How sumatriptan works
- Dosage and administration
- How effective is Sumatriptan?
- Side effects: common, serious and very serious
- Warnings & Risks
- Further information & resources
Medically reviewed by Dr Trudy Cheng. Last updated September 7, 2023.